Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 21, Rolling hills.

We were so hot from riding, we stopped at Kirkville to get some water. They don't have outside spigots like in Hawaii, they have these weird looking things that look like little pumps. I had a hard time figuring the thing out.

This doesn't looki like much, and to tell you the truth, it wasn't. But I took it anyway.

This is the Old Kentucky Road Bridge. We crossed it on the way to the camp ground.

The office to the camp ground.

It's hard to see, but these are two turkeys fighting. They put on quite a show, if only for a couple of minutes.

I just had to take this shot. The toilet is elevated to accommodate the drainage on the outside of the building.

We stopped at a way side store, and they had a bunch of these bucks mounted on the wall. They are white tail deer, and I was told they are big ones.

A smal farm with a grain silo and a barn with one of them quilt things on it.

The Oh Kentucky camp ground had these three crosses on the top of this hill. The whte fence is actually a grave site for a dog. It had a marble head stone and picture.



Day 21, Berea to Harrington Lake. 43.19 miles. 851.3 miles so far.

We arrived at Harrington Lake at about 4:30 this afternoon. Our original destination was supposed to be Harrodsburg, but when we looked at the detail of the facilities at the park we were going to camp at, we decided to stay here instead. This is actually an RV camp ground, but the allow cyclist to camp for $10.00 a site. There is a nice lake a hundred yards from us, it has a marina with a restaurant and store. We are presently at site 1. The first one as you enter the park. We took this spot because it is close to the showers and laundry room, and a nice grassy area to pitch our tents. Most of the other spots have a gravel bed for the Rvs.

We left the Oh Kentucky camp ground in Berea at 8:30 this morning after saying our good byes to all the Adventure Cycling guys, and our two friends from Alaska. I think they are all planning a rest day in Berea. Lisa and I had thought about a rest day there, but decided to push on because the weather report means rain, and plenty of it. We are looking at a rest day possibly tomorrow when the weather hits, that way we won’t be ridding in in climate conditions.

Today’s ride was quite enjoyable. There weren’t any big climbs like in the past. Most of our route took us through open pasture land with little farms scattered here and there. Kentucky is a beautiful place. Lots of trees, and plenty of horses. Some of the healthiest I’ve seen. We passed this one pond where we saw a big turtle slipping into the pond when he saw us coming. He was too quick to get a shot of. I looked to the left of the pond, and saw these two turkeys fighting. They were so into their battle. That they didn’t even notice us watching. I took a couple of pictures of them, I felt like I was a National Geographic photographer. As the day wore on, it got pretty hot. I drank water like it was………., Well…….., Water. Any way, there were only two places on the way to get cold drinks, so we took advantage of that both times.

A few days ago while we were in a hotel watching the Weather Channel. There was a news flash of a tornado ravishing a town called Kirksville. Lisa said that was where a lot of her family live in Missouri. So she called her mom to let her know, and her mom called the family to find out how bad it was. Come to find out, this town of Kirksville is in Kentucky. And we passed through it today, and saw some of the houses that were hit. A couple of them were totally gone, just ruble and what ever belongings scattered all over the place. Even the trees were splintered and twisted. A couple of the houses were blown in half. Strange thing is that the houses right next to them were spared. I hope we don’t run into any. I wouldn’t know what to do. We are truly lucky not to have these things in Hawaii.

Most of our riding today was on lightly traveled roads with a lot of rolling hills. I mean a lot. Most of them we could get over with the momentum we got from coasting down the previous ones, but as luck would have it, there are always those bigger ones that required the small ring. Once we saw the lake, we knew we were home free. Since it is a Monday, the office was closed, so we had to go hunting for the manager to secure our spot. A n ice gentleman whom I forgot his name, wearing a shirt that said. “Sarcasm is just one of the services I provide”. I told him I liked his shirt. He’s my kind of guy.

Thank you all for your prayers, I am so grateful for friends and family like you. Aloha, Ted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

Boy, wish I were there with you guys. Your pictures of the country side are breath taking. I feel for you on those hard climbs. I am thankful that your weather has been holding out for your both now. All of our friends say hello. They are excited that I will be joining you both towards the end of your journey.
Through my journey, I am hoping to be able to trips like this with you. Missing you and loving you, Fern