Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 68, Dubois to Colter Bay, Grand Teton National Park.

Our tent cabin at Colter Bay. Notice the big bear proof box next to the fire place. all our food and anything that gives off odor goes in there. Even our water.

Some of the wild life . We saw many.

Teton lake with The Grand Teton in the back.

Shot as we were approaching The Grand Tetons.

Bikerted entering The Grand Teton national Park.

A mountain stream winding it's way to who knows where.

The scenery was mesmerizing. Too big to explain. All I can saw is "WOW!!".

You just can't explain stuff like this. you just gotta be there.

We saw a number of fly fishermen in these streams. I bet the bears saw them too.

How cool is that? a place as beautiful as this, and not a soul in sight.

It's the middle of summer, and these peaks still have snow on them.

I couldn't resist this shot. The thing was huge!

Off in the distance are elks playing around, but they were just too far to get a good shot.

I surprised this young buck that was feeding in the bushes. Look at the startled look on his face.

The inside of our tent cabin. not much, but it was warmer than the 30 degree temperature outside.

Another mountain stream we crossed. There were a ton of them.

The rock formations around here are really neat. I wasn't able to shoot them all, but there were some that amazed me.

Hey Lisa, I think I can see Oregon!

Elk horns are all over the place in this town. I was hoping to find one in the wild, but I guess the locals got to them before I did.


Day 68, Dubois to Colter Bay, Grand Teton national park, Wyoming. “The Killer Mosquitoes”. 67.44 miles.


Dubois is a neat little town. Too bad we weren’t able to spend more time here checking the place out. Last night, I had a herd time sleeping. It was kind of warm, and the motel didn’t have air conditioning. Because of that, we left the window open, but the noise for out side made it just as hard to fall asleep. Finally though, after the boy friend and girl fried squabble, the cat fight, the late night weekend drunks, I finally fell asleep.

We were up at 6 this morning. We knew we had the second highest climb of our trip to tackle today. Togwotee Pass at 9,658 ft. We are currently at 6,900 ft. Through out the day, we would have managed over 4,000 ft. of climbing . This part of Wyoming is very, very interesting. The sights were almost too much to handle. Up until now, all we saw was high plains, mountains, and ranches. But today, we saw the real Wyoming. The majestic mountain peaks, the alpine meadows, mountain streams, and lakes. Everything seemed so big here.

As I got my first glimpse of what appears to be “The Real” Grand Tetons, My mouth dropped from total awe. I don’t know what those mountains were a couple of days ago, but they were nothing compared to what I was looking at right now. These mountains made those look like, like, well, like mountain. These however, were majestic, they stood out like giant beasts off in the distance. Our route led us straight to these snow capped giants. Mile by mile, we got closer. And at every turn, I was inspired to take another picture. As we got near the top of Togwotee Pass, we ran into road work that forced us to load our bike on a company truck to be transported to the other side. This took some time, then about a mile later, we had to do it again, this took even more time. I would say we lost about an hour because of all that. But the biggest crime of the day, was that you, the person reading this, got robbed of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. I swear, coming over the pass was just plain awesome. I can not even begin to describe what was going through my mind as I watched in amazement the landscape. I was unable to take any pictures, because I was holding on to my bike with one hand, and the rail of the truck for dear life with the other.

Anyway, today was indeed a great day. A lot of climbing, and a lot of miles. But in the end, we were glad we did it. Tonight we are at the Colter Bay Camp site on the shores of Lake Jackson. No internet here, so I’ll post when I get the chance. Aloha, Ted.

No comments: